Important information about why loan totals in the loan debt letter may be incomplete or inaccurate
- Students who have borrowed at multiple institutions, who have consolidated loans, had loan debt discharged or forgiven, or who have repaid a portion of their debt may find that the estimates are inaccurate.
- Grad PLUS Loans, Federal Health Profession Loans, state or institutional loans and private loans from other institutions are not included in the estimates.
- Federal Health Profession Loans, institutional loans and private loans certified at IU before the 2004-05 academic year are not included in the estimates.
- Interest that accrues while you are enrolled, which must be paid first or capitalized (added to your debt), has not been projected and therefore has not been included in the estimates.
- The Federal Direct Loan and Perkins Loan figures in this letter are based on the most recent information sent to Indiana University by NSLDS and should include loans from any institution. However, if you recently received Direct loans at another institution, these may not have been included in the information provided by NSLDS.
- State Teaching scholarships and Federal TEACH grants, which may be converted to loans if scholarship terms and conditions are not met by the recipient, are not included in the estimates.
- Education loans your parent took out on your behalf, and parent loans you may have taken for your children, are not included in the estimates.
- Loans included in the letter may have been discharged or forgiven.