Acceptable use of student data reminder
Please recall that institutional information is for the purpose of conducting university business only. The Indiana University Student Information System (SIS) allows for audits to determine appropriate staff access to specific student records.
As noted in the user agreement, records cannot be accessed for personal use or curiosity. Please check our Code of Conduct available here. University officials reserve the right to audit user’s access to student information. In cases where access of select student records is questionable, users may need to justify their access to their supervisors. Excerpts from the Acceptable Use Agreement are listed below, and everyone is encouraged to review this agreement. The agreement also can be reached by logging into One.IU and searching for the Acceptable Use Agreement task.
You agree to:
- Access institutional information only in the conduct of university business and in ways consistent with furthering the university's mission of education, research, and public service.
- Use only the information needed to perform assigned or authorized university duties.
- Never access any institutional information to satisfy your personal curiosity.
- Use information and IT in ways that foster the high ethical standards of the university.
- Never use information or IT to engage in academic, personal, or research misconduct.
- Never access or use institutional information (including public directory information) for your own personal gain or profit, or the personal gain or profit of others, without appropriate authorization.
- Respect the confidentiality and privacy of individuals whose records you may access.
- Preserve and protect the confidentiality of all University-internal, Restricted, or Critical information as a matter of ongoing responsibility.
- Never disclose University-internal, Restricted, or Critical data (as defined by policy; see above) or distribute such data to a third party in any medium (including oral, paper, or electronic) without proper approval, and in the case of Restricted or Critical data, without a contract processed through or waived by the IU Purchasing Department.
Failure to comply with these standards will be dealt with seriously, and may result in sanctions relating to your use of information or IT resources (such as suspension or termination of access, or removal of online material); to your employment (up to and including immediate termination of employment, in accordance with applicable university policy); to your studies within the university (such as student discipline in accordance with applicable university policy). Illegal acts involving IU information or IT may also be subject to prosecution by state or federal authorities and may result in civil or criminal liability.
Questions about the Acceptable Use Agreement or accessing student records should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.